Sunday, August 2, 2009

I'd like to fix up a 1990 Dodge Dakota. Any ideas, pointers, recommendations?

In KY, my vehicle registration taxes would be considerably cheaper (say, $15/year as opposed to the average $200 assessed on vehicles) b/c it's an older model.





I'll be honest, this is an old farm truck on the farm of one of my deceased relatives and hasn't been registered since 1993. It has only 10,500 miles on it. My dad and I take it out for a spin on the farm 2-4 times yearly. We've looked at the engine and see no major mechanical problems to speak of, and we would take it to our mechanic to see if he agrees with us or not.





There are some major dents to the back bed, but that's really about it. Replacing the bed, passenger door, and repainting the truck will cost around $1000.





This is a truck that has potential, and I would hate to see it waste away while I drive some newer car that is supposedly "better." (I know I'll have to go through legal ramifications to obtain this vehicle (I've been given the green light by its inherited owner,) but I'm not asking about that.)

I'd like to fix up a 1990 Dodge Dakota. Any ideas, pointers, recommendations?
The best advice i can give you on the Dakota is change out the carburetor..they are junk..they have the worst problems..id know i had two 1989 and 1990 Dakota's and i put efi on them and the truck worked great..good luck


one the other side it sounds like the truck is well worth fixing..is it 4x4?
Reply:It sounds very good deal.





Change all the fluids (and filters as appropriate): transmission, rear end, brakes, power steering, oil, coolant.





Make sure the brakes work properly.





You will probably need new tires - LT type tires last longer, are a bit more expensive and ride harder than P type tires.





Replace the fan/accessory drive belts.


No comments:

Post a Comment